Secular Activist Launches New Political Party In Response To Trump Victory

David G. McAfee Creates Party Dedicated to Science and Skepticism

11/14/16 – David G. McAfee and a group of 19 other scientific and secular activists are relaunching the Party of Reason and Progress (PORP). McAfee founded PORP on Nov. 4, 2010, in response to the overwhelming victories of unreasonable and fear-mongering “Tea Party” candidates.

“I founded the party as a minor project because Americans were electing unreasonable people who didn’t value science, and now I’m bringing it back for the same reason,” McAfee wrote in a statement the day after Trump’s win. “I supported Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders before her, but it’s clear that both parties need help.”

PORP will focus on campaigning for local, state, and federal candidates, of any party, who value science, education, and reason-based legislation. The party hopes to eventually have candidates of its own on future ballots.

PORP, which now boasts more than 12,000 followers on its Facebook page, uses a porpoise as its political symbol. The animal represents intelligence and reason. Less than a week since the relaunch, PORP currently has nearly 7,000 volunteers, local groups in all 50 states, and international outposts in Canada and the U.K.

The group is controlled by a 20-member steering committee led by McAfee. Other members include former National Atheist Party President Troy Boyle, science blogger Yvette d’Entremont (aka SciBabe), and others.

About PORP: The Party of Reason and Progress (PORP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to adequately informing the American public regarding modern political issues and policies. Our goal is to spur the election of intelligent, logical, and rational candidates interested foremost in moving our nation in a positive and progressive direction. Without the limitations of strict party platforms, such as those imposed by the current dominant political party dichotomy, PORP can approach each individual decision from a logical, rational, and reasonable standpoint with an emphasis on maintaining a strong separation of Church and State, ensuring universal civil liberties and social freedoms, and cutting economic costs by limiting unnecessary military spending and reducing bureaucratic waste.

About David G. McAfee: McAfee is a Religious Studies graduate, journalist, and author of four books about religion. He is also a frequent contributor to American Atheist Magazine. McAfee, who writes about science, skepticism, and faith, attended University of California, Santa Barbara and graduated with bachelor’s degrees in English and Religious Studies with an emphasis on Christianity and Mediterranean religions.

Website: partyofreasonandprogress.org
Platform: https://partyofreasonandprogress.org/porp-platform/
Twitter: @TheOfficialPORP
Volunteer here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1237681262957401/

Contact: David G. McAfee, David@DavidGMcAfee.com, (805) 455-9567

dmcafee Subscriber
37 comments
  • Darrell and Robin Westbrook
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Just sign us up. We are senior citizens totally dependent on Social Security and Medicare. We are terrified. If this party can help, then we are with you.

• Just me
      Posted on November 15, 2016 at 3:39 am

I am disabled and terrified for the same reason!

• Martha P Richards
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Finally something I can get behind. Thank you.

• Russell Tatum
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 3:57 pm

This is great. Exactly what modern American politics needs. So happy to have found out about it.

• Michael
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:06 pm

While I support the ideas behind this party, you had to go with PORP? PRP (perp) would have been worse, but that’s the best you could have done?

• Tom
      Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Reason and Progress represents their position on issues, and the acronym becomes their party symbol, the porpoise. There’s nothing wrong with it. In fact I think it’s much better at self explanation than Republican, Democrat or tea party, although at least tea party makes sense if you know history.

• Michael
        Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I know, but it’s so easily mocked. 🙁

• G
          Posted on November 14, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Anything can be easily mocked by anyone. It’s whether you are the one being immature enough to do it or the one mature and sensible enough to overlook it and actually focus on the main cause. What does it matter if someone is being immature and mock what is more reasonable? I know religious people mock science all the time, it doesn’t make science any less fact or true. Same for our purpose, it doesn’t matter if haters mock us, we still stand for a reasonable cause and that’s the main point.

• Graham sugars
            Posted on November 22, 2016 at 8:52 am

Yes there will be mocking. The stronger we become the more they will mock as desperation sets in.
            I have a small website/ blogsite ( atheist-thetruthismyyardstick.com). Providing you do follow the stated ideals I will post anything you submit. If I had been religious I would’ve prayed for this day. Please contact me. May no
            god be with us.

• Graham sugars
            Posted on November 22, 2016 at 8:52 am

god be with us.

• Bart
          Posted on November 14, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Like GOP = “Grand Old Perverts” or “Grabbing Our Pussies”?
          I wouldn’t worry about PORP. 😉

• Michael
          Posted on December 2, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Imagine if the jackass wasn’t already taken. What would we say then?

• Think Atheist
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I’m @ThinkAtheist and I support P.O.R.P.

• Evie
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm

How do you become a member?

• Dwight Ridenour
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Sign me up too. The election of Donald Trump proves to me tha greater than 50% of the nation believes that intelligence and rationality are less important than money and revenge. I, too fear the future of this beautiful country and am in despair that nonsense has prevailed.

• Michael
      Posted on November 14, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Actually is was perhaps as low as as 24% of the nation. 54% of the voting public voted against the orange hitler but 48% of eligible voters didn’t even vote.

• Graham sugars
        Posted on November 22, 2016 at 8:58 am

Exactly 48% voted none of the above (richard prior- brewsters millions )

• Todd De Ryck
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Thank you for this effort! I hope PORP also advocates for proper and relevant engineering, as it appears we require major projects and investments in infrastructure, energy, environment, etc. going forward. “Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world.” Isaac Asimov

• Scott Lane
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 5:40 pm

At a minimum, I still have 7 years before I retire (If I win the power ball) but more likely, at least 15 yeas. That means that I really cannot just run away and hide. Even if I could run away and hide, my friends, family and people I don’t even know, are very much at risk with the WASP-EV up swelling. What kind of human would I be, to leave all of them hanging by themselves.

I am here and willing.

• Paul Edwards
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Sounds like the ties to atheism are as front and center as science. That may not be intended, but it comes through to me. And I’m not some sort of religion freak, but if it makes scientists who might also be religious feel unwelcome, then you lose before you start. If that’s not the intention, then remove all references to it. Most scientists I know are very against mixing religion and politics, but that doesn’t mean they want their spiritual views put down.

• Alex Wabbit
      Posted on November 15, 2016 at 1:55 am

*Sounds like the ties to atheism are as front and center as science.*

I would say the ties to atheism are front and centre AS science. If evolution and genetics spoil your mythology of Eden and Original Sin and Redemption, suck it up. You’re a scientist, you knew it was mythology, right? Because a beleiving scientist has to keep two sets of books, one for a reality that includes Almighty God on Sundays, and the other, based on a non-supernatural universe, which he needs for work, and where any mention of God would be ignored on principle.

*Most scientists I know are very against mixing religion and politics,*

If we are talking about what people believe, even for scientists there is no clear line between religion and politics; ask anyone doing stem-cell research. Religous organizations have highly-paid lobbyists whose entire job is to fudge the distinction, and almost all politicians profess Christianity if they want to get elected.

Senior Republicans have announced that in the next Administration, Creationism is to be taught alongside evolution, abortion will be made illegal, and recent gender rights laws are to be struck down as an insult to God.

Against this atavistic trend, scientists whose feeling are hurt by criticism of their religion would be more credible if they got off their pious fence, and unequivocally joined the voices of reason and intellectual honesty, against the demands of the credulous mob, and those who would exploit its ignorance and gullibility.

• Cortney T
      Posted on November 21, 2016 at 3:04 am

I’m not sure where you are seeing how atheism is “front and center” in PORP’s message or mission. I see they aim for secularism, which is simply keeping away from religion. In politics, this means separation of church and state, NOT a political agenda to promote and enforce atheism.

• Jonathan H. Navejar
    Posted on November 14, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I’m absolutely ecstatic about this Party.

• Jeanette Hannibal
    Posted on November 15, 2016 at 1:25 am

As a new member, I look forward to the diversity of people, opinions, and statements that can make a difference in moving us (Humanity) on a smarter path to making better choices…

• Steve DeHaven
    Posted on November 15, 2016 at 1:27 am

A new party might be a good idea, unless it further divides those of us who already consider ourselves progressive and rational. I’d hate to see the party of irrationality continue to win because its only opposition was splintered into multiple political parties.

• Marta Manildi
      Posted on November 30, 2016 at 3:22 pm

PORP is not anywhere near running a slate of candidates. It will focus on support for reasoned and scientifically supported policies and the candidates who support those policies – of any other party. That might change in time, I suppose, but only if it makes sense to do so. I am a registered democrat and a member of PORP. There should be enough rational republicans or, perhaps more likely, libertarians, who will also be interested in PORP.

• Timothy Gaines
    Posted on November 15, 2016 at 2:50 am

Hello. You have raised my eyebrow…. one question, what is the parties economic standpoints? influences? If you are to support a person for any government office, what would their economic ideals have to be?

• Tom_McL
    Posted on November 15, 2016 at 6:17 am

Founding new parties reflects a failure to understand why a two party system is necessary in America until the electoral college system is removed.
    ?Q? What happens if no candidate wins 270 electoral college votes?
    !A! Congress ignores all voting and appoints the next president!
    SO,
    Job ONE is the constitutional amendment to dump the electoral college in place of the winner of the popular vote, just like every other elected position in America.
    But, but,but… What about PORP and DERP and CRAP?
    Sorry, A new party is not the answer. Fix one of the two major parties already in place. ?Why? Because it IS already in place. A new party which, let’s face, does nothing except splinter existing Democratic votes only ensures that Republicans will govern.

Spend some time REALLY studying why educated middle class people in both red and blue states voted for Trump. NO, they are not all racist, and NO, they are not all stupid. YES they DID see Trump’s many personal faults, but the issues which are important to them overrode their distaste for Donald. Why? What issues?

Why is there such a clear divide between urban-democrat and rural-republican? How can democrats speak to rural voters about issues which are important to them?

Winning an election is damn hard work, Some voters which voted for Trump can be won over and brought back, others never will. Do you understand the breakdowns and who is likely to return. Who can be won over?

Forming a new party – is a party, with slogans and drinking songs – but it is a hell of a long way from governing the nation. Far better to fix what you have.

• Tom_McL
      Posted on November 15, 2016 at 6:19 am

The other two parties above?
      Conservative Reform Alliance Party, aka CRAP
      Democratic Election Renewal Party, aka DERP
      Believe it or not Canada briefly had a CRAP party, but the name was changed in under a week, so CRAP is free to use again.

• Rick Hunter
    Posted on November 15, 2016 at 7:00 am

Glad to be on board. We desperately need logic and reason.

• DoriCee
    Posted on November 16, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Why oh why do you have to throw the atheist crap in? Leave “religion” out of it.

• Cortney T
      Posted on November 21, 2016 at 3:06 am

Where do you see this atheist “crap”? I see no mention of PORP supporting atheism; rather, they support secularism which, by definition, means “leaving religion out of it.”

• Marta Manildi
      Posted on November 30, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Leaving religion out of it is exactly the point.

• Christopher Murphy
    Posted on November 16, 2016 at 3:13 pm

I need this. I actually voted for the transhumanist candidate in the election, because he was the closest candidate to my beliefs. Had that weird robot rights thing as its top platform, but otherwise science and technology were at the forefront. But this is a much better fit and the first political party I can really believe is representative of my values. Very hopeful about this.

• Tom
    Posted on November 18, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Will the party depend on any scientific polling?

• Anthropogenic Climate Change – Party of Reason and Progress
    Posted on January 3, 2017 at 3:10 pm

[…] Secular Activist Launches New Political Party In Response To Trump Victory […]